Lead Frontend Developer
This is an opportunity for you to put your hard-won experience to work to positively impact the lives of millions of people. It’s an opportunity to define your vision of what excellence looks like and lead our team in realising that vision.
You’ll need to be pragmatic about your plan; we’re a small team with competing priorities to balance. Being able to communicate your ideas, and their benefits, to both technical and non-technical colleagues will be key.
You’ll need to be a team-player: collaborative in the way you work and supportive of the people you work with - and you’ll find us supportive of you in turn! We’re big believers in the importance of psychological safety to a high-performing team.
What is HealthUnlocked?
HealthUnlocked is a social network for health. We help people find the support and information they need to better manage their condition, meet their wellbeing goals, and improve their lives. We connect our users from all over the world with others in the same situation, helping them find support and advice from people who understand.
To achieve this we have created more than 700 health communities; partnering with over 600 non-profit organisations in 200 different condition areas, across 3 languages (English, Spanish and Portuguese). We have over 750k registered users and around 4m unique users a month.
How we make money
As people use HealthUnlocked they generate tangible therapeutic value, both for themselves and others. We package that value and pass it on. For example, healthcare payers looking to keep people healthy pay to onboard their population into HU and reap the reward of better outcomes and lower costs. In the case of an insurer in the US that means fewer claims generated by more activated patients. In the case of the UK that means lower costs to the NHS (and so on).
Who we are
We're a small team motivated by the thought of doing something good for the world. We care about diversity: we have a 50/50 male/female split across the company, as well as in technical roles, and welcome applications from people of all genders, ethnicities, and other underrepresented groups. We try to work smart, not hard, and discourage working long hours. We also have a lot of fun! And there's no better feeling than knowing you're building something that matters.
- Performance tuning - knowing when there’s value to be had from focusing on performance, and how to find the low hanging fruit.
- Testing - knowing what tests to write and how to get the most value from them.
- Operating at scale - managing the challenges of operating at a reasonable scale (~4m users a month) and laying down foundations for the future as that number grows.
- Enabling delivery - the shorter the time from idea to execution, the faster we can get feedback, the better a product we'll be able to build… but crucially, we need the tools, architecture, and processes that enable us to do this safely.
- Architecting for a growing a team - driving a front-end architecture that enables an expanding team to continue getting code into production quickly and safely.
- Flexible working - whatever your situation, we help you find the best working pattern to suit your needs
- Training schemes - whether it's digital or managerial, develop new skills
- Family first - ensuring everyone has the support, flexibility and resources for a healthy work-life balance
- Career progression - structure designed to fast-track your career from the day you start
- Company socials - our dedicated social committee organise a diverse range of events
- Free fruit and breakfast - to ensure you start your day the right way